Thursday 13 March 2014

How I Know Anita

Apparently  dunia ni ballgum i.e. is swahili for the world is small. I was in Kamato, Lambwe Valley, Homabay county this past weekend and at least had an excuse to miss a steamy Hisia Sunday.

So I'm seated at the back with Fullie to my right and Joy to my left. I knew both at different points in my short life,with milestones marked every March. Fullie is always tallkative but today he is quiet. At first I thought it is because he felt like a third wheel-when you are two guys and a girl, and you don't know the girl then it goes without saying... 

So he kept busy staring at his phone and texting every now and then. I can bet you 30 dollars it was Ivy.  I don't have 30 dollars so if you win this bet good luck getting your money.
So being the awkward-situations-phobic me, I tried including him in conversation, sometimes starving the girl. ("Who does that?!" I know what you are thinking, but stay with me).

At some point the conversation moves to Eldoret. I can't remember how. Joy can. Sharon can explain why. I feel so smart right now.

Enehu, I mention something about growing up in Eldoret and going to SOS Hermann Gmeiner Primary School. Forget the long name, focus on the people to my left and right lighting up and loudly exclaiming, "You were in...I was also there!" in different tongues a la the disciples at Pentecost. By the way, last week's Wednesday was Ash Wednesday.

I'm speechless for some few seconds and minutes after this, mostly because I was shut out of the conversation by the two. To be continued....


No comments:

Post a Comment